Baking Tips for Cakes
Here are some great tips for making amazing cakes every time!
- Don’t use cold eggs. If you’re short on time, put the eggs in a bowl of warm water.
- Bring butter to room temperature. Put your butter in the microwave for short intervals, about 5 seconds, to warm it without melting it.
- To experiment with different textures for your cakes, you can substitute milk with yogurt or sour cream.
- Unless the recipe says otherwise, use unsalted butter for cakes.
- Make sure to measure your flour properly by spooning the flour into a measuring cup and then using a knife to sweep off any extra.
- Using a pastry brush to butter a pan will give better coverage than using a piece of paper with butter on it.
- Mix all of your dry ingredients together before adding in any wet ingredients.
- A kitchen stand mixer does not need to be on high speed to mix. This will help the life of your mixer and also ensure that you don’t over mix your ingredients. If you’re looking for a stand mixer to enhance your baking click this link for stand mixer reviews to help you make your choice!
- Put your pans as close to the center of the oven as possible and make sure that they don’t touch each other or the oven walls.
- Use a fork to beat your egg yolks before adding them to the rest of the ingredients.
- Adding a pinch of salt to the mixture will help to bring out the flavors in the baked goods.
- Cool your cakes upside down so that the tops can flatten. This will make them easier to stack if necessary.
- Before frosting your cake let it cool for about 20 minutes. Then wrap the cake layers in plastic wrap and put them in the freezer for about 30 minutes. They’ll be ready for any cutting and frosting that needs to be done.
Ideas for Creative Cupcakes
Cupcakes are a fun and delicious snack to make at home. They’re great for kids and adults, parties and even casual nights home alone. But you don’t have to make boring cupcakes just because you don’t own a bakery. Here are some fun ideas to make your cupcakes more exciting.
- Use cupcake liners. Not only will this make removing the cupcakes easier, and eating less messy, they can also be fun and decorative. Something this simple can make your cupcakes look a lot cuter.
- Decorate your cupcakes using candy. Candy on top of cupcakes is delicious and it’s also a great way to make designs and patterns.
- Use marshmallow fluff as a frosting. Running them under a broiler for a few seconds can also add a bit of golden touch to the topping. Nutella also makes a delicious frosting alternative.
- Use a filling in your cupcakes. Hollow out a bit of the cupcake and fill with anything that you want. Use another piece of cake to cover the hole.
- Add mix ins to the batter. Anything from fruits to candy to nuts can be added in to add extra flavors and textures.
- Cut your cupcake into layers and fill each layer with a cream or frosting of your choice for a delicious mini layered cake.
- Make a cupcake sundae by adding a cupcake into a cup and putting a scoop of ice cream on top. Add any of your favorite ice cream toppings. The possibilities are endless!